Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dog is due anytime now, her temparture dropped to 98.6

Customer Question

My dog is due anytime now, her temparture dropped to 98.6 last night and just an hour ago started having bloody discharge and licking her vulva a lot. Is this normal during whelping
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have had been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years now.

Yes, this is pretty normal for whelping... the discharge can be anything from green to clear to slightly bloody, but it shouldn't be pure blood. And the licking should be accompanied by some contractions. It may not be easy to see the contractions, sometimes it just looks like they hold their breath for a second, but they are actually having a contraction. I see that it has been 40 minutes since you posted your question, has she had any puppies yet? How is it going?

Dr. Stacy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she is back and forth between resting and more licking. I checked her temp again and it's now 99.4 so I don't know if that's normal. She is a large breed dog, a bloodhound and the vet palpated her two days ago and said she only had a few puppies in their.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

It is normal for the temperature to go back up after the initial drop. They can pace, lick, and be restless for a while. If they have any pushing or green discharge and have not produced a puppy in 30 minutes then I would seek veterinary care.

It's a little more difficult to know if they need assistance in the restless stage because that can go on for hours. In an ideal world we would monitor fetal heartbeats while they are in these early stages of labor to be able to detect problems, but that isn't practical. Give her a little time, watch for any pushing, watch for any green discharge. The green discharge occurs with separation of the placenta and it the baby isn't born quickly after that it can die. Also watch for frank red blood. If you see these things and she doesn't have a puppy soon after, take her to a veterinarian. Dogs with small litters are more likely to need a c-section

Dr. Stacy