Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My mini poo has a narrowing traches, they put her on

Customer Question
doxicocllin,marshmallow susp, terbutalinnnne 2.5 and...
my mini poo has a narrowing traches, they put her on doxicocllin,marshmallow susp, terbutalinnnne 2.5 and hydrocodone supressant, they sugested 'adaquion' injections .2 mg 2 times per week for 4 weeks, she is 10 years old, thery also said she has an enlarged
heart, she seems to be good most the time however sometimes she get into to these terrible cougiing spells lasting 5-10 sec, however she still walks 1 mile a day without any coughing, they have confirmed her trachea size 1/10 of normal and enlarged heart on
xray. What do think about the collagen building product adaquiion and woukd there be otherr options?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Please clarify "marshmellow susp." Doxycycline, terbutaline, and hydrocodone make sense but there's no evidence that Adequan is of any value other than inside "ball and socket" type joints. It's approved for use in dogs with non-infectious degenerative and/or traumatic arthritis. It's quite a stretch to think that it could "strengthen" tracheal cartilage much less prevent tracheal collapse. If marshmellow suspension is actually meloxicam suspension, Peaches will be treated with all of the different treatment modalities for tracheal collapse. It's then a matter of titrating the dose of the various drugs to find the smallest and least frequent dosing of them that keeps Peaches comfortable.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

thankyou for your response! Yes it must have been a typo on their part. It truly says marshmello on the doxi script. What does the meloxicam do for her?

You're quite welcome. I was sort of hoping that marshmellow suspension actually worked. It sounded nice. Meloxicam is a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID). Mobic is a human trade name for meloxicam. By reducing inflammation in the collapsing trachea we can minimize coughing. Steroids such as prednisone are also prescribed for that purpose but can be contraindicated due to their adverse effects...particularly in a 10 year old with a heart condition in which the fluid retention caused by steroids could be devastating.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

thankyou! live fore each day! she was a rescue along side of the freeway ! However she rescued me!

It looks like it's lucky you have each other! I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

Every day is so sweet as my sweet Peaches is to me! Thank you so much!

It's my pleasure. Give Peaches a kiss for me. No need to reply at this time.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian