Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a Puggle (pug x beagle), she is 1 yr, 4 mths old.

Customer Question
She just had her yearly...
My dog is a Puggle (pug x beagle), she is 1 yr, 4 mths old. She just had her yearly canine c5 vaccination and it was done on 19 Sept almost 1 year to the day since her last c5 at 16 weeks of age. Both were administered via injection. She has just started hacking up pools of clear mucous but there is no coughing that precedes the 'terminal gag'. So given that she is vaccinated against kennel cough and there's no cough, might it be something other than kennel cough?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Any other symptoms?

She weighs 13.5 KGS
Other symptoms are lethargy. She is eating fine though. Her nose did not appear runny.

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response. I was offline by the time you came back. But, in response to your question, you are right there are other viruses of bacteria that can cause respiratory infections similar to kennel cough. The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. I would have her rechecked by family vet, she may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime, start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Hi, with her symptoms in mind is there any specific infections you think it might be?
She also has more than normal eye discharge
is sometimes reverse sneezing

Friend, the most common isolate causing kennel cough is Bordetella. Other viruses and bacteria are: Viruses (Canine parainfluenza, canine adenovirus-2) bacterias (mycoplasma, pseuodmonas, klebsiella, pasteurella, streptococcus), etc.

Eye discharge is part of the upper respiratory infection. You can clean her eyes with over the counter eyewash and gauze. Feel free to flush her eyes with eye wash.

Hi Sas,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sas Duarte. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian