Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Newf has had problems off and on few years with s neck

Customer Question
My Newf has had problems...
My Newf has had problems off and on for a few years with his neck and recently also with his right foreleg. He has been on several different meds. At the moment, he is on 7.5 mg. of prednisone along with 400 mg. of gabapentin.
A couple of days ago he had really loose stool so I downgraded the pred. to 5 mg. and actually skipped one day. It was actually his first day on 7.5 pred. down from 10 mg. The vet told me to go back up and prescribed proviable to go with it (he is gradually tapering him down from to original 20 mg pred)
It has only been one day, but his neck seems to really be bothering him. I have some tramadol from a prior incident and wonder if it would hurt to give him a couple before bed tonight so he will be comfortable.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog has a painful neck. Tramadol is a great option for this weekend until you can get him back to see your regular veterinarian. How much does he weigh? I would recommend giving 1-2mg per pound of body weight of the tramadol. You can give it up to every 6 hours if he needs it.

Have you also considered taking him to see a neurologist? This can be expensive but they may be able to cure your dog's pain with surgery.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Hi, How is your dog this evening? How is his pain?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian