PATRICK KEITH
PATRICK KEITH,
Experience:  Veterinarian at SPCA
77654230

Vet, my dog boutchou, just had a spleen surgery, 2 days ago,

Customer Question

Hello vet, my dogCustomer just had a spleen surgery, 2 days ago, and is still unsettle, he finds it hard to lie down, we are waiting for biopsy results but in the mean time we are down the coast and Sunday vets are closed, as am worried about his blood count as his gum is still pale, this kathleen
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PATRICK KEITH replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you today.

First of all, I am going to have to make a few assumptions about your case because I an not the one that performed the surgery.

I am going to assume that the spleen was removed and a portion was sent in for biospy. I am going to assume that your veterinarian took chest xrays prior to the surgery. I can only assume thatCustomerwas discharged with pain medication. I am going to assume that he was not actively bleeding internally at the time of the surgery and he was stable when he went into surgery. Therefore, the surgery was a routine removal of the spleen.

One of the things you need to know is that the spleen is a reservoir for blood. It also has some immune system effects but that is beside the point at the present. One of the functions of the spleen is to return blood to systemic circulation in the case of rapid blood loss, i.e, hit by car or some other trama that causes a large amount of blood loss.

This is important to know because the spleen stores a lot of blood. Consequently, when the spleen is removed, even under "routine" circumstances (the patient is stable and not actively bleeding) , the patient looses a lot of blood just simply because of the surgery. This causes their red blood cell count to drop dramatically and thus their gums appear somewhat pale. The body will eventually correct this but it takes several weeks. In the mean time, they need a lot of rest and need to be fed high quality, nutritious meals to encourage red blood cell production.

Most of the time, a surgery to remove the spleen requries a larger than normal incision. Part of the reason for this is that you need to examine all of the internal organs to make sure there are no obvious masses anywhere else in the abdomin. Of course, this large incision causes more discomfort. I usually discharge these guys on pain medication for that reason alone. If he is not on pain medication, your only option is to confine him and keep him as quiet as possible. Because of his surgery, I would NOT recommend giving him any over the counter pain medications without consulting with a veterinarian. This is due to possible side effects. Please do not even give him aspirin.

If his gums seem very pale to you, more so than when he was discharged from the hospital, this is a reason to have him seen immediately by a veterinarian, most likely an emergency clinic. All they may do is check his red blood cell count and then send you away. It may be worth some peace of mind to have someone look at him.

If he is willing to eat, offer him something bland that is high in protein. Some times the easiest thing to do is offer some sort of canned chicken that is low in sodium. This will help him to start the recovery process and a good high quality meal will make hime feel better. Again, if you are really worried about him, it might be the judicious thig to do to have someone take at him.

I would also be willing to do a phone consult with you if needed.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you. My goal is always to give excellent service. Please take the time to write a review so that I may improve my service.

Kind regards, ***** *****

Good Morning. This is Dr Keith. I recieved an email from Just Answer regarding my offer of additional services. I would be happy to speak with you on the phone. However, I am unable to retrieve any contact information in the Just Answer website. I apologize for the delay. But, I am trying. I attempted to contact customer service but I have to send them an email,, which does not help in the short term. Please resond to this email as soon as you can.

Dr Keith