How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 13009
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My shitzu swallowed half alieve pill she been throwing up

Customer Question

my shitzu swallowed half alieve pill she been throwing up for 3 days what can i do? i didn't know what it was,until i couldn't find the pill that drop on the floor
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

First, do you know the strength of the aleve ingested? How much does your dog weigh?

Ingestion of aleve does concern me because naproxen is not shown to be safe in dogs in general. The advised dose for dogs is 2 mg/kg every other day so if your Princess weighs 11 pounds (5 kg) this would be a dose of 10 mg. Aleve typically comes in a 220 mg tablet formula and therefore 1/2 tablet is 110 mg meaning the ingested dose would be 22 mg/kg (if we assume 220 mg was ingested) which is approximately 10 times the dose used in pets.

According to literature: The reported oral LD50 in dogs is >1000 mg/kg. In dogs, PO ingestions of >5 mg/kg can cause gastrointestinal signs and GI ulceration; >25 mg/kg (some dogs as low as 10 mg/kg) can cause significant renal damage, and >50 mg/kg can result in neuro signs.

Because this is close to being a concerning dose (if her weight and mg ingested is accurate) this is close to being a dose that could potentially effect her kidneys and I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure this is not the case for her. In addition, they can give injectable medications to help reduce her nausea and fluids to support her and reduce risk of dehydration.

I hope this makes sense, please consider a veterinary exam in this situation with the possible amount ingested

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today of if the information provided is not accurate based on her breed and the mg of naproxen

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

If you elect not to seek veterinary attention:

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode and no water in this period as well to allow the stomach to rest

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/4 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Princess comfortable

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinarian sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

I am going to be away from my computer for a little bit in about 10 minutes but will return later this afternoon to see if you have responded while I was away. Best of luck to you and Princess and I hope for a rapid recovery

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on you and Princess since you asked your question this morning. How is Princess doing? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Princess. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman