Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

LORETTA ONLY FROM AND MOMMAS

Customer Question

FOR DR. LORETTA ONLY
HI FROM MIKE AND MOMMAS
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Mike...so good to hear from you and Mommas...is she doing well? Are you doing well? How can I help you this fine day??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We're very glad to hear from you too ( big smiles). You've saved me so much money and grief over the years (Mommas is probably 9, maybe 8). The last 2 Vets I used wanted to charge over $600 for things you correctly diagnosed and fixed. First I'd like to follow up on the shedding problem. The furminator works great, but instead of once every 2 days, I've been using it twice a day and a great amount of hair comes off each time. I have to also use one of the roller hair removers for her belly, but it also picks up20-40 hairs from her neck and back AFTER i've used the furminator carefully. I hope this is her coat shedding season, 'cause even with all the brushing and rolling, there is a still a lot of hair, very small and hard to see. I ordered the Vitacoat, but they recommend 12 a day for the first 4-6 weeks, and my finances are still terrible. Furthermore, she won't chew it and even when I break them up into small pieces and put it into her dried food (which looks similar), she often won't eat it. I don't give her canned food, so I can't break it up finely. She wouldn't even eat the pieces in chicken soup broth. The Omega-3
capsules that I take daily are far far cheaper (and smaller). That seems to be the main ingredient, along with flaxseed oil . I take flaxseed my self in the tiny seeds. Maybe I could get her to take that too. Derm... that you recommended seem even more expensive. Btw, her paw licking is almost completely gone. We worked on that a lot. Another success for you!! Thanks much much. Btw, good chance I will become parenting expert (I'm a kinda famous one). I already was approved, but since my doing it takes at least 15 minutes, the current rate was much too low. But now I see experts can be paid more, and I'd like to hear your experience with that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't tell if you got my pretty long response

HI Mike....I also have had to use the Furminator more often especially when they are shedding a lot so keep up the good work. It does take time but worth it in the end. The point of the Vitacoat is to give Mommas the Omega 3 fatty acids and flaxseed....you can certainly give her the less expensive version that you take and this will help decrease the amount of shedding.

Good for you to become an expert....with phone calls, now you can make more money so it may be worth it for you, Mike....good luck!!

Yes, Mike, I did get the response and I have been mulling it over to give you a good response....does this help?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will keep doing it (I started). I see the call option for another $18 her. Now with my stuff you can imagine that calls can get very long (I"ve done my Short-Term Behavioral Counseling over the phone at times, and it sometimes took 45 minutes - getting the background to the problem, what they've tried, see if and address it if there is strong negative self-talk and excessive emotional reactions. I know that with chats one gets charged something like $10 or more every 10 minutes (this isn't my real question - I'm obviously putting you into a recruiter position if your information helps me decide to do it). I hope it's viable. The agency I've worked for for over 10 years was suddenly closed by the owner, even though it was doing well. And this is a very bad time to be looking for work in my field in NYC. My actual question is about small circles of pink skin (no hair) in places I've never seen her lick and don't think she could reach. It took a lot of time to get all the hair off of her paws at the height of her licking. I'm in Washington Heights, a hugely low income Spanish neighborhood and there are few Vets and none get a consistent good rating from other dog owners, who mostly go outside, especially those that have cars. The Vet I happily used for years was one of those that wanted to charged me $800, keep her overnight and test for kidney stones when in fact it was the likely option which you correctly diagnosed. So I have no idea who to take her to. I'll have to bite the bullet soon and find someone I can take her to for her yearly checkup, but I'd like to put that off a bit if possible. Thanks for reading these long messages. I'm sure you understand
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did you get it?

Oh yes, Mike, I certainly understand....it is tough to find a vet that is reasonable...this hair loss is hard to determine without testing, Mike...sorry! It may be due to a metabolic issue since Mommas is getting older and blood work would be realy helpful, especially a thyroid panel....save up for this because this could be expensive.

Does that make any sense, Mike? I wish I could give you more but without more information, all I can do is speculate.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks much Loretta. Sorry for the delay. I have been p;aying $700 a year for top ASPCA insurance. Would there be any other symptoms - her energy and overall health are still terrific. Also I noticed that the hair is growing back in all 8 or 9 of them. Most are smaller - 1/4 to 1/2" diameter, somewhat more oblong than circular. I think they appeared maybe a month ago, probably fairly suddenly. How might a find a skilled Vet with integrity? There are Yelp reviews and in my field there are accreditations, like The American Psychological Association. I don't know how good it is at screening out the unscrupulous ones. Is there anything decent this way in yours. Also, if you talk on the phone, and it needs something longer (I realize that you probably have one of the shortest needed talk times, and with parenting I probably have the longest, even more than individual therapy type of questions. For something as common as an older sibling hitting a younger one a lot, I usually ask approximately 20 or more questions. Obviously I wouldn't do that many, but you get the idea. I've the answers of other parenting experts - mostly general, vague stuff and not asking a single question. Obviously I don't work that way. 15 minutes seems a bare minimum to give answers up to my standards that have at least a decent possibility of helping. Is there anything else about fee setting that I should know?

It is really hard to tell for sure, Mike, without testing...I really wish I could give you more information but I cannot at this point.Check with the Veterinary Dermatologists in your area and check their reviews to get the best for Mommas.

I do not do the phone calls due to my fear of liability so I am not aware of how to increase the cost but I do know that it is possible to bid it and decide on a price. Good luck!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I'll monitor it and get back to you, maybe in 2 weeks. BUT what possible liability?. Maybe it's something I need to consider.

That is great Mike...let me know. WE worry about givig medical advice over the phone...it is a no no in our profession.