Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I gave my healthy 88lb female boxer dog 200mg of doxycycline

Customer Question

I gave my healthy 88lb female boxer dog 200mg of doxycycline instead of 100mg twice today so 400mg is the total
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
call me if that works better sorry i had mistaken password..i have too many!
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I apologize no expert has jumped in to answer, but as with many of us I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.

That aside I wanted to shoot you a quick answer that this should be fine. This is actually at the higher end of the normal dosing range for the drug. She doesn't really need this high a dose, but no anticipated toxic problems. I recommend go back to the recommended dosage of 200mg twice daily. Monitor for upset stomach, as we would even at the 200mg twice daily.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.