Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 14-yr old basset has been bothered by the extreme heat,

Customer Question

our 14-yr old basset has been bothered by the extreme heat, and this evening she hasn't eaten. She ate breakfast this am, but refused her treat. Does this sound like bloat?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry an expert has not been in to help you both tonight

Bloat is very specific in its symptoms: Retching or vomiting without production, unable to rest comfortably, swollen abdomen, pacing/ anxious

With her age there are a multitude of other issues to be concerned about if she is not showing these symptoms.

Recommend veterinary er

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

Is she having any vomiting, diarrhea? Are her gums nice and pink and moist? Does she seem overly lethargic or is she still active (for her age) and responsive to you?

I hope this information makes sense, if you are able to guide me with any other symptoms we can hone in on what is going on with Sadie but if she is showing any of the clinical signs above please consider a veterinary er tonight...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman