Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I took my dog into the vet hospital because he wasn't eating

Customer Question

I took my dog into the vet hospital because he wasn't eating and couldn't walk up stairs. They sent him home with Gabapentin and another one (they said muscle relaxers?). The next day I took him to his vet and they took a blood sample and sent him home with tramadol, an appetite stimulant, and metacam. I also collected a urine sample for them. Both the blood work and urine analysis came back clean.
He is not taking his meds -- biting us when we try and spitting them out when he do manage to get them in his mouth. We can't hide them in food because he's still not eating. Everything he has eaten he has thrown up. His stool is full of blood and is pure liquid. And all the vet wants is to put him on more meds and do x-rays (neither of which we can afford).
What is wrong with my dog and how can I help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Diesel. I'm so sorry he's doing poorly, but really glad you're looking for the information you need to help him.

So I may know that you're properly connected and that you understand how the website works, please take a moment to type in a short response then click REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. My goal is to provide you with honest and accurate information in order to earn your positive feedback. Without your positive feedback, the website keeps your entire payment and I receive no compensation, so it's important to me.

I'll await your reply then begin typing in my answer...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

I understand your frustration on the following counts...

• Your dog isn't getting better
  • You're unable to give the medication as prescribed
  • No one has been able to give you diagnosis
  • Additional medical care is going to cost more money

That's a tough situation to be in. Here are my thoughts...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

It really is disappointing that the vets you've seen so far haven't been able to give you any answers. The only treatment they've provided is aimed only at pain relief, and won't actually solve any problems, not to mention it cannot work if you can't get it into him.

The point of medications like this is simply to relieve pain and inflammation, much like you or me taking Tylenol.

I think it goes without saying that if you or I had symptoms like appetite loss and bloody diarrhea, we wouldn't expect Tylenol to be adequate treatment. It may be great for aches and pains, but not for symptoms like that.

Because of that, I'm afraid the unfortunate truth is that Diesel is going to need additional medical care.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

If I were in your shoes, however, I'd be inclined to take him elsewhere for a second opinion to get that care. Your vet should be gracious about working with you on that. Contact them and let them know your plans so they can send copies of your record and previous lab tests so your new vet won't necessarily have to repeat things. That will save money.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

For what it's worth, I'd be inclined to look into bleeding disorders as a possibility for Diesel's symptoms. He may have had normal blood tests before, and now that his symptoms are getting worse, they might not be any more.

Bleeding disorders can happen for a number of reasons, but they occur most commonly following ingestion of some types of rat or mouse poison or because of autoimmune diseases. These types of things can be difficult to diagnose, so repeat veterinary visits and lab work are not unusual.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

The cost of veterinary care weighs heavily on everyone's minds, but the fact remains that veterinary expenses will always be part of the burden of responsible pet ownership. Fortunately, there are some organizations that can help.

Here is a list of sources that can help with veterinary bills.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dachshund-rescue-south-florida/resources-for-financial-help-for-veterinary-bills/10151165829365837

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

I understand that your primary questions were:

• What is wrong with my dog?
  • How can I help him?

The honest answers to that are:

• A multitude of diseases are possible: rat poison, other coagulopathies, infectious diseases, other toxins, tumors, and more.
  • In order to help him you will need to get him in the care of a capable and competent veterinarian.

I wish there were easier answers and a simpler plan for you, but this is the truth.

I do want to be as helpful as possible. I know you're in a tough situation.

When you rate my response, please remember that you are rating the professional nature and accuracy of the information I've provided, and not if you are pleased with the facts as they stand.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please rate my response on your way out of the chat.

If you are not, please let me know what other information you need.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with Diesel. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Just one final check to ask how things are going with Diesel. I've been worried - you're in such a tough situation with him. Are things going any better yet?

Thank you.