Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My chihuahua accidentally drank some vodka that was diluted

Customer Question

My chihuahua accidentally drank some vodka that was diluted with soda. I thought it was water, it had sat overnight. Probably about a tablespoon. He is 5 years old and weighs about 7pounds...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm a bit concerned. While we don't have studies in dogs, in human pediatrics the minimum lethal dose of methanol (the alcohol in vodka) is 1.5 g/lb or 10.5 g for Mo. There's 0.789 g in 1 mL. If you think he ingested a tablespoon (15 mL) he would ingested 11.8 g of methanol. I suspect much of the alcohol evaporated during the night, however. How is Mo currently acting? you would see signs of intoxication within 1/2-2 hours following ingestion.

There's a bug in the system. The above should have read "If you think he ingested a tablespoon (15mL) he could have ingested 11.8 g of methanol if it were a very "strong" drink. It was a mixed drink, however, and much of the alcohol evaporated during the night..."

Hi Michelle Hager,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mo. How is everything going?