Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chihuahua accidentally drank some vodka that was diluted

Customer Question
with soda. I thought it...
My chihuahua accidentally drank some vodka that was diluted with soda. I thought it was water, it had sat overnight. Probably about a tablespoon. He is 5 years old and weighs about 7pounds...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm a bit concerned. While we don't have studies in dogs, in human pediatrics the minimum lethal dose of methanol (the alcohol in vodka) is 1.5 g/lb or 10.5 g for Mo. There's 0.789 g in 1 mL. If you think he ingested a tablespoon (15 mL) he would ingested 11.8 g of methanol. I suspect much of the alcohol evaporated during the night, however. How is Mo currently acting? you would see signs of intoxication within 1/2-2 hours following ingestion.

There's a bug in the system. The above should have read "If you think he ingested a tablespoon (15mL) he could have ingested 11.8 g of methanol if it were a very "strong" drink. It was a mixed drink, however, and much of the alcohol evaporated during the night..."

Hi Michelle Hager,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mo. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian