Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 14 year old dog has cushings disease and an abnormal

Customer Question
heart. He now has a...
My 14 year old dog has cushings disease and an abnormal heart. He now has a tumor on his anal glands. When I took him the Vet she did an internal and she could tell there is inflammation inside the anus. I know we may need to make some decisions soon. He is a male beagle. My question is, on the anus I am using a spray that is someone to soothe the area. The area has some slight bleeding here and there but now there is an odor. I clean the area every day as best as I could. Any ideas of how I can take care of the odor? It is not fecal material that I am smelling but smells like dried blood or something.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with Phoenix. You're smelling the odor of degrading blood as you suspected. It's originating from the anal sac tumor (adenocarcinoma is most likely). Unfortunately, you won't be able to eliminate the odor without stopping the bleeding and that would entail surgical resection of the tumor - an inappropriate consideration in a dog such as Phoenix. I agree with you - you're going to need to make a difficult decision sooner than later. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you. This is just hard because he hears fine and sees fine. We have had him a long time. I just needed confirmation this is what I was smelling.

I understand. I wish I had some magic for Phoenix. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Hi Wanda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Phoenix. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian