Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 73 lb, 2 year old, maler Weim ate a tiny dispenser of

Customer Question
Abreva. TorrThe dispenser was about...
My 73 lb, 2 year old, maler Weim ate a tiny dispenser of Abreva. TorrThe dispenser was about 1 1/2" and probably 1/4 full. I've retrieved all the plastic parts, but the dispenser is empty. Should I give him Benadryl? It's too late for hydrogen peroxide.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian

Hello there. I am sorry to hear that your guy is trying to get himself into trouble. I am happy to help you this evening. The good news is that the active ingredient in Abreva is at a low enough amount and is considered non toxic. The most I would expect to see is some stomach upset. It is good that she didn't eat any of the plastic. It is not necessary to give benadryl. Also not necessary to give any hydrogen peroxide since this product is not toxic. I would just watch him. Any vomiting more than 3 times or diarrhea more than 24 hours have him seen by your vet. Otherwise I do not really think you will see any of this.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Thank you

You are very welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.

Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian