Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been in heat and bleeding now wks off and on. Is

Customer Question
My dog has been in...
My dog has been in heat and bleeding now for 2 wks off and on. Is this normal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Also, is it normal that she act as if she is and has been pregnant and carry a stuffed animal around like it is a baby?
Answered in 3 days by:
10/5/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Proestral (proestrus is the stage in the heat cycle just prior to estrus/the period when she would be receptive to a male) bleeding may persist for up to 3 weeks although the average is 9 days. Acting pregnant - actual pregnancy or pseudopregnancy (false pregnancy/pseudocyesis), however, isn't expected until 6-12 weeks after a heat period. We do see aberrant maternal behavior such as adoption of objects at that time. Please clarify the timing of Sophia's behavior for me.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian