Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

Dog breaking out in swelling bumps. Very uncomfortable.

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is*****'m a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to be of help to you and Penny Lane tonight.

Sounds like Penny Lane is having an allergic reaction to something like a bug bite or sting. If she is breathing OK, and if her gum color is pink with good color return (in two seconds or less after you push on them), then she should be safe for you to give her Benadryl orally at home at watch her.

The dose for Benadryl is 1-2mg/pound every 8 hours. A dog's dose is much higher than ours.

How much does Penny Lane weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's 70lbs.
She's calming down. Threw up 30 minutes ago at the outset of this.
Given 50 ml of benadryl. Just before initiating this response. She just threw up again. Will give more benadryl.

Vomiting is a sign of a more significant allergic reaction. Please check her gum color. . .she may have also a severe drop in blood pressure (hypovolemia) that can affect all of her organs. Are her gums pink or are they white?

She should have 70 to 140 mg of Benadryl, but she may also need an injection of cortisone and IV fluids to make it through this allergic reaction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Capillary response good. Sorry I forgot to include that.
She's calming down. The bumps she broke out in were marble sized and all over, mostly around her head. The are subsiding.

Oh good. Sounds like you and she have avoided a trip to the emergency vet.

Make sure to give her enough of the Benadryl, and she should have this dose every 8 hours for 3 days to cover her until all of the allergen should be eliminated from her body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wide spread panic was about to set in. She's curled up in bed almost asleep.
Thank you for getting us through this.

Glad to hear the good outcome. Remember that Benadryl also has a sedating effect, so Penny will be sleeping well! Don't forget to continue her dose every 8 hours for 3 days, or she may have hives and discomfort again.

Have a peaceful evening!

Dr. barbara

Hi Richard,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny Lane. How is everything going?
Dr. Barbara