Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I noticed my 12 y/o lab had dark stool today. It seemed

Customer Question
I noticed my 12 y/o...
I noticed my 12 y/o lab had dark stool today. It seemed normal consistency just dark in color. He is eating, drinking, and acting normal. He does take 50mg of Deramax daily for arthritis so this concerns me. Now that I've researched it a bit online, I did remember that he vomited over a week ago a large pile of grass that was dark in color, dark brownish. I just thought it was dark because of the grass and didn't think much else of it. I haven't noticed any vomiting since then but he does have access to a doggy door to the back yard all day long. Do you think this could be a stomach bleed because of the NSAIDs? And should I take him in immediately?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. How much does Rocky weight and how long has he been taking the deramaxx? Has he had any blood work done recently?

He is 70lbs, had senior blood work done about 4 months ago. No issues then. He's been on Deramax for several years. He's had 2 TPLOs with complications....very advanced arthritis in both knees. We haven't had any problems with deramax so far.

Thank you for answering those questions. You are absolutely correct that dark stool and dark vomit can be an indicator of a bleeding stomach lining. While the dose of deramaxx is good, it is still possible for stomach bleeding to occur, even when he's been on it for a while. It is definitely best to have him seen by your vet. Your vet may recommend some blood work to compare to his previous blood work in order to determine if he has a stomach bleed. If you have more questions please reply back.

Thank you, ***** ***** call the vet first thing in the AM.

You're welcome. Good luck. Have a great night.

Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian