Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Well, Sounds like my 10-week-old Darla did the same thing

Customer Question

well, hi. Sounds like my 10-week-old Darla did the same thing your Customer's Echo did. She was outdoors a lot today. She obviously ate something 'bad' as she has been vomiting a bit. Now she is lethargic
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if she just experimented with too many delicacies inside the house (treats/boiled beef bone/cat's food/etc.) or something outdoors. Beautiful day and she was outside in the fenced yard by herself over the course of the day. Only thing I've noted as potentially dangerous would be fungi from recently cut wood and mulch...maybe tree limbs...vines....or grass.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just gave her a bit of antacid crushed in water and delivered by syringe by mouth.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could she have Parvo?
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your puppy is sick. I am sorry, but I cannot take a phone call, but I can converse in this format until all of your questions are answered.

Dogs can vomit for many reasons, including dietary indiscretion as you suggested above (this is the most common), infectious, like parvo or parasites or intestinal blockage.

For tonight, I would recommend the following steps:

1) remove all food and water for at least 4 hours.

2) after 4 hours, if there is NO further vomiting, you can offer a small amount (1/4 cup) of water once every 30 minutes until her thirst is satisfied.

3) If there is no further vomiting by morning, then you can offer a normal amount of breakfast and assume she is recovered from what ever she ate.

If she continues to vomit I would do the following things

1) assess body temperature via rectum. Normal body temperature for a dog is 100.5 to 102.5. A fever could indicate an infectious disease such as parvo. To take a dog's temperature, use a digital thermometer, lubricate the tip with vasaline or KY jelly and insert it in the rectum about 1 inch.

2) assess the puppy's gum color- it should be a nice medium pink color, like human gum color. If it is very pale, I would be concerned about infection (parasites or parvo) or anaphylaxis and would recommend taking her to the animal emergency room.

3) Assess feces- if she is not passing feces or is passing normal feces that is normal. If she is passing diarrhea or bloody stool, I would recommend taking her to the animal ER.

If, in the morning, she is not eating or having a small amount of diarrhea, I would recommend taking her to your regular veterinarian.

For antacids, I recommend Pepcid or tums. Pepcid dose is about 5mg for 10 pounds of dog and Tums is about 250mg per 10 pounds and these can be helpful if the puppy ate something that was very irritating to the stomach.

Good luck to you and Darla!

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
God bless you, Dr. M. Much appreciate the advise to get us through the night. The Tums dose seems to have calmed the stomach. No more vomiting and she sought water on her own. Think we are likely dealing with indiscriminate diet, by grace!!P.S. Do you by chance know a professor Don Coldsmith? Vet/history prof/rancher. Acquaintance in the 90s that I've lost touch with, who was at Kansas State? Amazing man! Apparently, many amazing vets! Many thanks for your care and concern!All best,
Tracy Brown
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. I am glad she is feeling better.

I am sorry, but I did not know Don Coldsmith.

I hope your evening is quiet and uneventful.

-Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi, How is Darla doing this evening? Is she eating and drinking normally?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Darla. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda