Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is pregnant and git up this morning with red rings

Customer Question

My dog is pregnant and git up this morning with red rings around her nipples?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I believe that you're seeing the normal increase in blood supply to a pregnant dog's mammary glands as she approaches parturition. Can you upload a photo of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today she's acting lethargic and won't eat and both of my male dogs are trying to get to her like they were whenever she waz in heat and licking and licking and licking and licking her.

Thank you for the photo. Are you sure that she's pregnant and not pseudopregnant (false pregnancy/pseudocyesis) instead? The symptoms of pseudopregnancy are similar to those of pregnancy - mammary problems as you're seeing, lactation, licking of the glands by her or your males, and abnormalities associated with aberrant maternal behavior - nesting, digging, and adoption of animals or objects. Depression or anxiety, anorexia and excessive vocalization (whining) are possible and so her lethargy and not eating support the diagnosis of false pregnancy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bred her with my male and the locke many times..she has gotten considerable bigger...I can feel pups..she is due Oct 20th...this is her 1st litter and her 2nd heat and she is over a year old...

Thank you for the additional information. My primary concern is her anorexia which is really the only atypical behavior at this point in her pregnancy. I would thoroughly examine her including ultrasound of her abdomen in order to better understand how vital her pups are. Can you take her rectal temperature for me? Any body thermometer placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute should do. Normal is 100.5-102.5F.