How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ann M. Your Own Question
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4829
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Ann M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 11# chi chi mix got into some chocolate this morning. he

Customer Question

my 11# ***** chi mix got into some chocolate this morning. he probably ate 10 dove milk chocolate miniature bars. he has thrown up once and is drinking lots of water. what should I watch for or is there anything I can give him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Can you give me an idea of how many ounces of milk chocolate it was that he ate?

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

And did he eat the wrappers, too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the chocolate is not very big I would guess maybe he ate 1.5 ounces maybe not even that muchhe did not eat the wrappers they were all over the floor
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

1.5oz each, or total for all 10?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Okay. I just looked this up online, and it looks like if your dog ate 10 of them, that is about 2.5oz of milk chocolate. That is about 30mg/kg of theobromine, which is the drug in chocolate that is toxic to dogs. If your dog has already vomited, then he should be fine. He will likely drink a lot today and be more hyperactive, have a higher heart rate, and should be back to normal in 24 hours. He may have diarrhea when it works its way through him, but no permanent issues. If this was MILK chocolate, he will be fine. If this was DARK chocolate, or even if a few of them were dark chocolate, you need to see a vet right away. If they were all milk chocolate, I would just offer lots of water and take him out to urinate frequently, and wait it out.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kathy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Wilson. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions