Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My dog, beagle, 9 years old has a urinary tract and bladder

Customer Question

My dog, beagle, 9 years old has a urinary tract and bladder infection and is on pain medication and antibiotics zeninquin. He is not eating and he is getting weak.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your beagle today. I just have a few questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has it been since he has lost interest in eating? When you say he is getting weak do you mean he is having trouble walking or getting up? Any vomiting or diarrhea? What is the name of the pain medication he is taking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has not been eating now for days. He does have some loose stools, but no vomiting. The pain medication is rimadyl.
Marcie

Has he had any x-rays done? Is he castrated? I would be careful giving the Rimadyl if he is not eating. Giving Rimadyl on an empty stomach can cause stomach upset and may be the reason why he has loose stool. With your beagle being weak and not eating, I would be worried about something more than a urinary tract infection. I would recommend asking your veterinarian about having xrays of the bladder or abdomen, and also consider having an ultrasound of the area to rule out any more serious issues such as a tumor. I would also recommend having bloodwork performed to rule out any systemic medical issues such as liver, or kidney disease.