Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog was given back in 2014 Tussigon 5mg cough the came in

Customer Question

My dog was given back in 2014 Tussigon 5mg for a cough the came in a bottle broken into 4 pieces the instructions were (Give 1/4 tablet 2 times daily until gone)
on 8/28/2015 my new vet did a refill for me with Torbutrol 1mg they told me they had a hard time getting them the instructions on this one said (Give 2 tablets by mouth every 12 hours as needed for coughing)
Now my question is didn't they just double the amount of dosage, my has just come up with liver damage could it be caused by this pills
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet today

To answer your question, tussigon is hydrocodone and torb is butorphanol. These are two separate medications and therefore the dosages will be different for each medication

Hydrocodone is an opioid medication that can help with cough while butorphanol is an opioid partial agonist. They both work a little differently to address the cough and will have a variable dosage of effectiveness.

I hope this information is helpful to you but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!