Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a ppit that is 9 years old I'm wondering if he's too

Customer Question

I have a ppit that is 9 years old I'm wondering if he's too old to b spayed he is Avery attentioned seeker with my granddaughter door jealous wondering if I had him spayed if this would make him difffferent @ settle down he's really gentle @ spoiled but wondering if I hit him spayed would it calm him down ??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and your Pittie yet today

To answer your question, neutering (spay is with a female) will help with dominant behavior and I have neutered dogs at 12 years for this behavior. It can help but is not a definitive answer and can take a few weeks after the surgery to see any changes in behavior since the testosterone is systemic for a period after neutering.

CLICK HERE for an article on behavioral changes noted with neutering a male dog.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Black. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman