Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chihuahua got her rabies and distemper shot exactly 48

Customer Question
hours ago. She was feeling...
My chihuahua got her rabies and distemper shot exactly 48 hours ago. She was feeling really bad up until this morning where she has bounced back but this afternoon she started throwing up white clear,and she still is fairly perky
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Princess has had a rough few days after her vaccines were given.

It is not too uncommon for them to be very achey and run a low grade fever after vaccines.

They may also experience hives, facial swelling and in extreme cases swelling of their throat and collapse.

Sometimes they can experience mild stomach upset too, although this generally occurs within the first 24-48 hours.

Since she seems to feel better otherwise we can try some things at home to see if we cannot get her past this.

To try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet for a pup 5-10 pounds in weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet for a pup 5 to 10 pounds every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed.

Then in 2-3 hours you can feed her a bland diet for the next couple of days to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.

She should feel much better in a couple days. Then you can slowly reintroduce her normal diet.

If she continues to vomit she should be seen by a veterinarian.

You should report this reaction to her veterinarian. It should be noted on her permanent record.

In the future she should only be given one vaccine at a time and they may wish to pretreat her with anti-histamines or steroids when she is vaccinated as a precaution to prevent such reactions and/or send her home with some anti-inflammatory medications.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful, please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian