petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

I have a pitbull that is and bumps all over her

Customer Question

i have a pitbull that is white and bumps all over her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have pictures if you need to see the bumps
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Did the bumps come up quickly?

Is she itching them?

How much Benedryl was given? Did it help?

What does she weigh?

If the bumps are still present, a picture may be helpful to allow me to get a better idea of what you are describing.

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bumps showed up quickly, she hasnt had any changes in her food or treats, she isnt itching , she has had 50 mg in 24 hrs, and she weigh 60-65lbs, she doesnt get any human food and she is in a dog kennel at home while im at work, i sent pictures also thank you, ***** ***** helped a lil bit but the bumps came back and she only got 25mg to start with and she acts normal,
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the follow up reply and the pictures. Those definitely look like hives and the fact that they appeared, disappeared and reappeared so quickly would support that. It can be a challenge to identify the source of the allergic reaction at times and it is not uncommon to sometimes never do. If we can resolve the current flare up and as long as it doesn't become a frequent recurrent problem, it is not critical that we do.

Benedryl should be effective to control this. The dose is 1-2 mg per pound that your dog weighs so a 60 lb dog would get between 60 to 120 mg per dose. This can be repeated two to three times per day. The higher the dosage the greater the chance of drowsiness, so I would start with 50 - 75 mg twice a day and see if that helps or if you need to increase the dose. I would give it for a few days and then try stopping. If the hives keep reappearing or if they don't respond, I would have her evaluated by your veterinarian. In most case, hives do not progress to anything life threatening, but some allergic reactions (the more serious ones) can affect their breathing if their throat starts to swell. If it seems that she is having any breathing difficulties, that should be treated as an emergency and I would have her evaluated at once at the nearest ER clinic. I doubt that will happen, but always good to be prepared.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Z