Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a puppy and dont know if he sprianged s shoulder our

Customer Question
hello i have a puppy...
hello i have a puppy and dont know if he sprianged his shoulder our dislocated it, it happened about almost a week ago hes been able to walk on it but walks with a limp. No problem with running or jumping on our couches just concerned with his walk
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Matt, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Are you able to localize any pain to one area of his leg?

Are you seeing any swelling on his leg?

Is he holding his leg up the majority of the time when he stands or walks?

hello,
when we try and feel up by his shoulder it seems to bother a tad bit. no swelling on his leg, when he walks he tries not to put any pressure on it so limps
He lays on it no problem

Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry to hear that he has been limping on his front leg for almost a week. A complete dislocation is unlikely as most puppies will not put any weight on the leg if this is the case. A mild dislocation, soft tissue injury or small fracture (such as a toe) are possible as the cause though since he is still limping. Since it has almost been a week and he is still favoring his leg, I honestly would recommend taking him to your vet for an exam. Most puppies with a mild soft tissue injury will improve within 2-3 days therefore he really should be looked at to make sure his limping is not due to a more serious injury. Your vet can also prescribe an appropriate pain/anti-inflammatory medication to help relieve the discomfort he is feeling such as Rimadyl or Deramaxx.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. Thank you for your question.

could he have sprianged it when he landed wrong on his leg when he feel?

A soft tissue sprain is possible. Sometimes this injury (a ligament or tendon sprain) can take a few weeks to completely recover from though most dogs recover within 2-3 days after a muscle sprain.

the next day he was walking but wouldnt put pressure on it

This is a good sign that he did not dislocate his shoulder though not wanting to put full weight on his leg is an indication that he is still experiencing some discomfort.

Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian