Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a westie maltese cross nine years old. He has what

Customer Question
looks like a large blood...
my dog is a westie maltese cross nine years old. He has what looks like a large blood blister on his front paw doesnt seem to be bothering him except he is licking it a lot. It started out like maybe a boil. Can you help me
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years. Nodules that appear on the paws (usually between the toes) are most often due to infection, allergies, or irritation due to a foreign body.

Foreign bodies can include ingrown hairs or small stickers that get stuck between the toes and burrow under the skin. Allergies often trigger irritation and itching of the feed and can lead to something called nodular pododermatitis (an infection in the feet that causes nodules or blisters to form). You can do a few thing for him at home. First, prevent him from licking it. Use an e-collar or a sock placed over the foot, but stop him from causing further irritation. Second, I would take some epsom salt and water and soak the foot for 5 minutes twice a day. You could even add a few drops of betadine to the solution of soaking. This can draw an ingrown hairs or foreign bodies to the surface. Dry the foot well after soaking it. Often, such as the case with nodular pododermatitis, they need antibiotics to resolve the problem. If it is not improving in a few days or if it becomes more swollen or painful, I would take him to a veterinarian to evaluate it further and possibly start antibiotics.

Although I would consider it to be unlikely, it is always possible that any kind of swelling could indicate underlying cancer. This is another reason I would have it checked by a veterinarian if it is not improving quickly. I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions, please let me know.

Dr. Stacy

thank you for your reply. I would like to know why I have been charged twice and would appreciate a refund. Thank you. Joy
I will rate your service when I get my refund

I don't know anything about the charges, but I will try reporting this to the moderator. I'm sure they can sort it out.

Dr. Stacy

Hi Joy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Moey. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian