Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My miniature snouzer keeps gaging like choking and keeps

Customer Question

My miniature snouzer keeps gaging like choking and keeps trying to drink water what can I do to help? I got no money to take to vet cuase I just paid rent!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to here that Chase is gagging and choking. Can you open his mouth to see if there is anything in his throat? Is he breathing inward when the gagging is happening (this sounds more like snorting and is called a reverse sneeze)? Is he eating food and keeping it down? Has he actually vomited and brought something up from his stomach? Please reply so that I can better help you find the best remedy for Chase.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not reverse sneezing, I don't see nothing down his throat, he keeps trying to drink water but he is not swallowing, he just sitting with his mouth in the bowl licking trying to drink!
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm, that is strange. I would recommend removing the water for about an hour and give the Pepcid. After the Pepcid has had time settle his stomach I would hand feed a small amount of food to see if he is able to swallow that. You can make a meatball out of canned food or scramble an egg. If he is not able to swallow that, then he really needs to be seen by a veterinarian.

If you have financial concerns you can consider the following options: Do you have a local humane society near you? They often have a full service veterinary hospital open to the public that is usually less expensive than general practices. You also can consider Care Credit. This is a health care credit card that you can use for yourself and your pets. Lastly, the ASPCA has an entire page dedicated to folks who want to help others with their vet bills. Check that page out at https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills.

I will be off-line for about 2 hours, but will be back this afternoon if you have any more questions,

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Chase this evening? Any more gagging or coughing? Is he able to swallow food and water normally again?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chase. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar