Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Not eating/drinking/moving few days. Improved day. Then back

Customer Question
not eating/drinking/moving for a few...
not eating/drinking/moving for a few days. Improved for one day. Then back to the same. Took him to vet, he was severely dehydrated and said he had an obstruction that soaked up the dye, but it started slowly moving so they sent him home after 2 days. Next day he is back to the same. Urinated while just laying there, not eating or drinking. Contracting stomach muscles and acting very uncomfortable. Vomitted up clear with grass.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I am wondering if I should give him Colace or something to help him, or if his condition could have worsened. He won't walk anywhere, but I would think his stool is really compacted and hard. He eats everything, but since the mass soaked up the dye I am assuming it is the strings from a rope bone and possibly parts of a blanket he chewed up. We just brought him home yesterday from the vet, and already he is back to no eating, drinking or moving today.
9/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help you.

I hate to be the bearer of unpleasant news, but this sounds like a situation that needs re-evaluation by a veterinarian right away. I suspect that there's a complete obstruction from the rope / strings you mentioned, and colace is not going to help with this, nor will any other oral laxative or similar product.

The discomfort, lethargy, lack of appetite, and abdominal muscle spasms, are very worrisome signs, and I fear that this situation may end in a very unhappy result if you do not seek a re-evaluation (and likely surgery) as soon as possible.

The vet took many x rays over the 2 days and said it was moving and that he had a bowel movement while he was at the vets office. So, even though it was moving, you think it has now stopped moving?

Yes, that is my suspicion, based on what you've described. It is possible that it WAS moving, while receiving IV fluids and maintaining optimum hydration. Now, with that discontinued, it is likely that we've taken a steep backwards slide in that process.

ok. The hydration part makes sense. This is of course on the weekend when our vet is not open. How quickly do these things go south? Do I need to take him to the emergency clinic now, in the morning, Monday?

I do not at all feel comfortable suggesting that you wait on this until Monday. You've described a serious enough situation so far that I would probably not want to wait beyond tomorrow morning, at the latest.

ok. I have called all of the people that will come in and no one will see him until tomorrow afternoon. Is there anything I can do for him at home? We kept urging him to drink water. He did, but vomited awful right after.

I'm sorry I did not receive your last reply early this morning. I would suggest trying to give him only tiny amounts of water or pedialyte or gatorade, 1-2 teaspoons per hour at most, as a "trickle" feeding of sorts, encouraging him to drink large amounts is sadly going to just make him vomit more, as you have already found out.

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian