Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 14 year old Dalmatian has not pooped at all today.

Customer Question

My 14 year old Dalmatian has not pooped at all today. Normally he goes 2-4 times a day, and this has increased as he's gotten older. I'm worried about him, but he is eating and drinking just fine, urinating regularly and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Pongo is having reduced bowel movements. I can hopefully give you some guidelines to help Pongo defecate but if this continues through to tomorrow I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is nothing medical causing his constipation

It is great you are getting him up and walking and he has no indications of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass), vomiting, lethargy at this point meaning he is not too backed up at this point.

- Feeding smaller more frequent meals not an increased volume
- Add water to the meals which helps increase moisture in the bowel movements and lubrication to defecate
- Increase fiber in his diet so reducing his normal food and supplementing with white rice, canned pumpkin, psyllium (metamucil)
- Walk about 15 minutes after the smaller more frequent meals to stimulate defecation
- If all else fails, a breeder's trick is to take a match and (without lighting it!) put it into the rectum and walk him around. The phosphorus in the match is just enough to stimulate defecation. It isn't fool proof meaning not all dogs are stimulated by this and you do want to leave the tip of the wooden end out so you can grab it if he doesn't defecate but it has been handy in the past to stimulate defecation and you didn't hear it from me!

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. Has Pongo defecated yet since you asked your question? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am online another 20 minutes if I can be of any further assistance

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!