Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.
I understand that you are concerned about your girl eating raisin bread as grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs, but they must eat a certain amount per pound of body weight to get sick. Grapes and raisins can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, then increased water consumption, lethargy, and kidney failure in dogs, but the toxicity is dose dependent meaning a big dog would have to eat more than a small dog.
Some dogs are more sensitive than others but a toxic dose is usually 2-3 grapes per kilogram of body weight (2-3 grapes per 2.2 pounds).
In very sensitive dogs they report that dangerous doses begin at about 0.18 ounces of grapes per pound of dog weight. That’s 1.8 ounces (one or two grapes) for a 10-pound dog, and 3.6 ounces (three or four grapes) for a 20-pound dog.
Raisins: About 0.07 ounces of raisins per pound of dog weight may be toxic. In real terms, that’s a mere 0.7 ounces of raisins for a 10-pound dog, and 1.4 ounces for a 20-pound dog.
If she is a normal sized shepherd and weighs 60 pounds she should have to have eaten more than 4 ounces of raisins to see signs of toxicity. One slice of raisin bread is not likely to contain that many raisins.
I have not heard that toasting changes toxicity. We aren't even exactly sure why grapes and raisins are toxic, we just know they afe based upon the dogs that have eaten them and gotten sick. I would not count on toasting making a raisin safe.
I understand there is a lot of conflicting information out there. To be safe we recommend no grapes or raisins. But they do need to eat a certain minimal amount per pound of body weight.
I always recommend that owners watch their pups for vomiting and/or diarrhea several hours later just in case she ate more then you thought she did. Signs of toxicity usually occur with 12 to 24 hours, but in some cases 48 hours elapse between eating and symptoms. Further signs of toxicity include lethargy, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, increased water consumption and finally lack of urine production.
I tell owners if they see vomiting and diarrhea with any amount of grapes/raisins fed we need to get them on intravenous fluids to protect the kidneys.
In short I don't think that one slice of raisin toast will hurt your girl, but I would avoid raisins in the future, and I would not count on cooking making them less toxic.
Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.
50634 satisfied customers