Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 years old pug gets excited with my junior 8 months pug

Customer Question
and he was muted when...
My 8 years old pug gets excited with my junior 8 months pug and he was muted when 1 1/2 years old but has now hematospermia( bloody discharge from his penis after sexual excitement with the other dog)
He does have arthritis too and has some pains and lost about 1-2 kg in the past 6 months. Must I be concerned or is just over excitement and trauma related?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Barbara, and will be happy to help you with your situation today. It is normal for castrated males to be able to have erections at times, or at least to become sexually excited and display humping behavior. We think that this behavior can also be part of normal play. . .it is an alpha dog behavior. However, it isn't normal for Mopsy to have this bloody discharge from his penis, and it isn't normal for unintentional weight loss. Most dogs with arthritis gain weight from decreased mobility.

I think it would be best to have Mopsy thoroughly checked there by your vet to determine the cause of these two problems.

Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian