Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 3 yr old golden retriever has a tumor growing on the

Customer Question

My 3 yr old golden retriever has a tumor growing on the outside of her hind leg. Layla's appetite has decreased, she's less playful, and she pants non stop. I wish I could post a pic of it. How likely could it be cancer? I know she should see the vet. Honestly I'm scared to hear bad news. Myself and my kids will be devastated. I'm sure treatment will be so pricey.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has this growth been present?

Is it firm or fluidy?

Sore to the touch?

Otherwise, please do post a photo of this for me to see. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site(ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to follow.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I noticed them about a month ago. The have gotten bigger. She actually has 2. I added a pic of both. They are fluidly. They don't seem to be sensitive.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Since I cannot see the whole leg on your photos, can you tell me where these are? On her elbow?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the outside of her front elbows
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again.

Thank you for confirming that for me. The reason I asked is because these look more like calluses from Layla laying on hard surfaces as opposed to being cancerous. It is possible to see calluses become inflamed or infected, so this may be why you have seen them appear more swollen but this doesn't look like anything more sinister then that.

Therefore, I would not be overly worried about these but advise you have her checked if she has been panting, lethargic, and of her food. If these are infected (your vet can take a sample with a needle if that or anything else was suspect) they could be uncomfortable and would need antibiotics. But otherwise, this is likely incidental and we'd want to have her checked to make sure she doesn't have a brewing GI bug that may need to addressed for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )