Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What is the disease of Benadryl 31 pound labradoodle. She

Customer Question
What is the disease of...
What is the disease of Benadryl for a 31 pound labradoodle. She had a rabies vaccine today and has very significant diffuse swelling along her entire side of injection . No hives. I am an MD but have no idea what the dosage is for a dog. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry that Lucy is having this reaction! The dose is 1 mg/ pound so for her size I would consider 25 mg 1 & 1/4 tablet and monitor for improvement within an hour. If there is no improvement she may require a veterinary er visit for a steroid injection but if there is improvement I typically will repeat in 4 hours then again every 6 hours for 24 hours

This might sedate as it does in people

You can also apply a warm towel to the area to hopefully increase circulation and get this to resolve the swelling faster. If the area is also painful you can rotate the warm with a cool towel, often with a 10 minute contact time for each

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can do to assist you both today! I hope Lucy's swelling does resolve swiftly and definitely would talk to your vet about pretreating with benadryl in the future for rabies vaccinations

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Good morning, I wanted to check on Lucy to see if the swelling went down from the rabies vaccination with the benadryl information I relayed? I would love an update when you are able!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian