Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is acting very strange? Her nose is hot, her tongue

Customer Question
My dog is acting very...
My dog is acting very strange? Her nose is hot, her tongue is sticking out sideways from mouth, there is a bloody discharge from mouth, stringy, pale red color, smells very bad. She was fine a couple of days ago. But not active today, stand offish. She is a 9 month old toy Australian Shepard.
I will get her to the vet tomorrow, but do I need to be freaking out tonight? It can't be rabies can it? They are my son's pups he left with us as an emergency, They have had all their puppy shots, I think, but just found out they have not had their rabies shots. Which I will rectify tomorrow. I just need to know if I can wait until tomorrow for the vet. She seems alright, except for the warm nose, and painful, bloody mouth, and sideways tongue. I tried to look in her mouth but she would not let me.
Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. Is there anything that you know that your dog could have gotten into?

A few days ago, my 92 year old mother said she saw the pups trying to kill something out in the field. I never found anything.
They dogs got into something in the garbage, my husband took a bag out of the car and left it in the garage.
The strangest thing is her tongue is sticking out of the side of her mouth, between her teeth, she is unable to bring it back into her mouth. The bloody discharge from her mouth is really smelly.
I would rather keep on this way of communicating.

OK. It is possible that there is something lodged in between some teeth or on the roof of the mouth from whatever they were trying to kill. I don't think that it is an emergency or you need to see a veterinarian tonight, but I would definitely go in the morning. Unfortunately, without being able to do an oral exam since the dog will not let you, there's not much more that I can tell you. It is possible that this is just from losing some of the molar teeth, but this seems a bit extreme for that. I would just try to get some sleep tonight, and see your veterinarian first thing in the morning.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Thank you very much

You are most welcome. Please remember to rate my service so that I will receive credit for assisting you tonight. Good luck, and take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gypsy. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian