Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I have a 10 year old German Shepherd female that I rescued.

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old German Shepherd female that I rescued. She recently started favoring her right leg and had problems getting up real well. She was eating well then.
Now she is drinking 1 to 2 gallons of water per day. She just came out of a heat cycle and she is discharging profusely with bloody discharge.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.

HI, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

An intact (un-spayed) female dog who is experiencing excessive thirst and vaginal discharge, soon after finishing a heat cycle, is highly suspected of having a serious infection of the uterus, known as Pyometra. This is a life threatening condition, and I would strongly recommend seeing a veterinarian as soon as possible.

The fact that there's visible discharge, suggests that her cervix is "open", which is less serious than if "closed", but either way, this is a serious illness that requires evaluation sooner rather than later, and I would strongly advise not waiting to seek veterinary attention.