How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20907
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm on vacation with my dogs and my dog injured her left

Customer Question

Hi I'm on vacation with my dogs and my dog injured her left back leg, when standing still she will put limited weight on it. But will weight bear when walking. She is 3.5, and has a history of a left knee injury that healed itself. Last night I gave her Prevacid and later an ultram. My first thought was obviously limit her activity and let the anti-inflammatory work, but the way she is guarding the leg when standing is different than in the past, should I take her to the emergency vet or wait another day
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, you are right that we need to strictly rest this leg. So, she will need help into the car, avoid her getting on/off furniture, avoid stairs, and generally only have limited activity on the lead to go to the toilet and then back to resting. (Especially, as her history does raise concerns of cruciate tears or strain. And her guarding raises the additional worry of cruciate rupture).

Otherwise, I have to note that Ultram is Tramadol. It is a good pain relief, but it is not an anti-inflammatory. So, it will reduce her pain but it will take longer for her inflammation to settle on its own. Therefore, her lack of improvement isn't completely surprising here. But since we know that we are not actually giving an anti-inflammatory, we have 2 options. You can get her seen by a local vet (emergency isn't required, you can wait until a local general practice vet is open) or rest her another 24 hours. The first option would be best, ***** ***** would let us know if we have a strain or rupture here. As well, the local vet can provide dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, Previcox) to reduce that inflammation and hopefully get her settled quicker here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Since you have just left another reply saying "Previcox". Is this what you actually gave?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she had previcox last night
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is a cruciate sprain or rupture, what will the vet do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

If she has had Previcox too and is still guarding and as lame as she was without it, then I'd be even more concerned about the state of that cruciate. You can give it another 24 hours because you have her on two very good pain relief treatments. But if we aren't seeing massive improvement, then we will need that leg checked as again this raises concerns of a ligament rupture.

If it is a strain, then rest and pain relief is the best option. But if it is ruptured, it tends to be something that needs to be fixed surgically to regain proper use of the leg.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind I think I will play it safe and just take her in
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I do think that is best course of action given her lack of improvement with both drugs used thus far.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )