Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I own an 8 year old Black Mouth Cur named Buddy. He is 92

Customer Question
Hello Doctor, I own an 8...
Hello Doctor,
I own an 8 year old Black Mouth Cur named Buddy. He is 92 lbs and his normal behavior is a very happy and outgoing friend until about 4-5 hours ago.
He first threw up a large amount of a light brown moderately thick liquid [not watery] with 4 small Milk Bone Biscuits’ I had giving to him ~1 hour before this event. I am disabled so I asked my 34 son to clean this for me. He told me the vomit has a strong smell like feces.
Within 30 minutes of his first episode he started vomiting a watery light yellow liquid. I have never seen a dog vomit so many times, i.e. 4 very large puddles that looked like he had peed within about 1 hour.
I then attempted to give Buddy some liquid Pepto but he refused this. I then put an antacid tablet is a Pill Pocket but he also refused this. He will not allow me to force anything in his mouth due to his great strength.
After he refused the meds I started 100% watching him. His behavior is nothing like I have observed over those 8 years of his life. That is:
1. Sad and depressed looking but with no whining.
2. Restless, i.e. his will lay down 5 minutes then moved around the bedroom for another 5-10 minutes, etc. I have seen him lay down only a few times for a short period of time.
3. We have a doggy door and he will leave the bedroom and go outside for a usually long time, i.e. at least 10 minutes per trip outside. Please note he always stays very close to me at all times [24/7] but only 2 times tonight. He has gone outside ~6-7 times in the last 4 hours.
4. He does drink a small amount of water every half hour or so which is also not normal for him.
5. He just came in from outside, laid close to me 5 minutes and just moved to the room adjacent to my bedroom. Please note tonight when I say he laid down means with the head up at all times rather than his normal position actually 100% prone.
6. He stayed in the adjacent room only 5-10 minutes and again went outside.
Every time I go downstairs to see what he is doing outside he come back as soon as I arrive at the back door.
Obviously with the odd behavior listed above he is not feeling well.
All vomits episodes have been a watery light yellow liquid except the first. I have noticed no offensive smell of the watery light yellow liquid vomit. Also these vomit events are not a great heaving event.
It has now been at least 1 hour since he last vomited but he remains very restless, often drinking a very small amount of water then wandering off.
As for as his temp, I have no certain way to check this but to compare the relative temp of his ears to my other 2 dogs. He has short ears much like my 10 year female Lab. Relatively speaking Buddy ears are somewhat warmer than Molly’s ears. Not hot but I can feel a difference.
Thanks,
***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with Buddy today.

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Gums and tongue are very pink and moist. The small patches of pink on his blank mouth are also very pink.
I pressed all of his belly areas and he did not display any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain.
His nickname is "Buddygoat" because he will STILL eat almost anything. Loves baby toys, socks, plastic like TV remotes, toilet paper and he is always licking he butts of my 2 female dogs after they have done their "business" outside.
The 2 females have been "fixed" but not Buddy.
He remains somewhat restless, no whining, will not stay in the bedroom with me or any room as his wanders around downstairs to go outside and he also continues to drink a small amount of water every ~15 minutes.
He recently came back from outside and laid down close to me [with head up] for about 10 minutes which is a improvement.
But he has again gone outside...but his time outside is a little bit shorter.
Thanks,

Hi Richard,

Oh Buddy! It does sound like he regularly gives his gut a challenge with his goat like habits. And I have to say that in this case and with his signs, I am concerned that he has given his stomach one challenge too much. This is because all his signs are suggestive of severe GI upset. Even his odd behaviors (which are actually quite normal and instinctive in dogs that feel unwell --he is likely grass seeking outside and the moving to other rooms is an instinct related to taking a defensive position when he could be potentially vulnerable to predators due to not feeling well) and restlessness support discomfort despite his brave face when you palpated his belly just now. Therefore, with this all in mind, our concerns here would be a gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or possible ingestion of something harmful (either causing gut trauma or a blockage).

In this case, you did have a good approach. I would avoid the Pepto Bismol but the antacid (ie Pepcid, Zantac, Tagamet, Omeprazole, etc) would be worth using here. Now since he was so stubborn, I would note that you can crush the antacid, mix it with water, and then syringe (using a syringe/turkey baster/eye dropper/ etc) it back between his cheek and teeth. That way if you aren't having to open his mouth and we can still get that into him. If we do and he settles, then we can all breathe a sigh of relief and are happy. But if he remains too stubborn for his own good, then we'd need to have him to the vet for injectable anti-nausea treatment. (So, hopefully he will see reason with oral treatments). And if we do have him seen, the vet can have a feel +/- xray of his belly to make sure there are no socks, rocks, or small children stuck in his gut that need to be addressed.

Overall, his signs are not odd but instead his way of telling us that he feels awful and has severe GI upset. Therefore, we'd want to try that sneaky way to get the antacid in or otherwise we'd need to consider bypassing his mouth with injectable treatment from his vet to soothe this and get him feeling better.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Hi Dr. B,
Great idea about the antacid.
Question: Will Prevacid help him? This is all that I have in the house tonight.
If not I will go the Walgreens later today.
Thanks for your help!Richard

You are very welcome,

You can use that for him safely. Dose-wise, we tend to give 5 milligrams per kilogram of body weight just once daily (so less wrestling, which is always good).

So, that would be fine here. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian