Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Loretta, hope u can remember us from 2013 where u helped us

Customer Question
hi dr Loretta, hope u...
hi dr Loretta, hope u can remember us from 2013 where u helped us a lot on our rescued strays. we now have several very puzzling cases which could really benefit from ur professional help. total 5 pups and 4 adults fell ill, starting abt 4 weeks ago, one
after another got sick over a 2 week period. all of them are fully vaccinated. they all started wif fever, some vomited and some had diarrhea, some had bloody diarrhea, 1 adult was coughing, 1 pup had a bit of nasal discharge and seemed to have a bit of respiratory
problem, loss of appetite and energy level. all had been regularly dewormed and there were no worms at all in vomit or poo so we assumed parvo tho test kit returned negative for parvo. we treated with antibiotics and support care of supplements and fluids.
initially all responded to the treatment and treatment was stopped accordingly but the pup wif respiratory problems fell sick agn after 1 week of recovery and started having bloody diarrhea tho initially she did not have that. we commenced antibiotics and
support care agn but this time she did not make it. she had fever then after antibiotics, her temperature started to drop and within a week she died. that was 8 days ago. 2 adults seemed to have recovered, the one that was coughing seems ok tho he lost a lot
of wt. other recovering adult has very red eyes. 1 week ago both suddenly swelled till bulging and now it is rather red. 3rd adult is just starting to eat a little again. but the 4th adult just died. she has not been eating for 10 days and temperature started
dropping 7 days ago. her temp has been around 37 for last few days despite us trying to keep her warm. 2 pups that recovered seem to be ok so far except for wt loss. 2 other pups that recovered, seem to have fluctuating temperatures. they can be 39.4 one day
(at nite, cool weather) and then 38.0 next day on hot afternoon. then for the last 1 week, their temperatures have been falling consistently. today they are at 37.8 and we are in a tropical environment so it is not normal at all. these 2 are still eating and
active but the fluctuating and consistently falling temperatures are puzzling and we are very worried that soon they will stop eating and loose activity too. the adult that we just lost today have been with us for a few years and she is much loved and we are
all extremely sad and heart broken and are now very worried that those not yet fully recovered will succumb too in the coming weeks. we have never experienced any thing like this and really hope u can help us. we are really desperate and at wits ends. : (
: (
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
9/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Yes, of course I remember you...nice to hear from you but I am saddened by this loss of life from something so contagious. I always worry about the tick disease in a tropical environment called Ethlichia because this can get into the bone marrow and cause death as you have described in the older one. If this is teh case and there are ticks, there is nothing that you could have done to save the last one. The puppies do have an immature immune system allowing invading bacteria and/or viruses to invade and cause havoc. Along with antibiotics, they would require supportive care such as you have given but this is not always successful. Without being able to culture or run testing, it is very hard to know what may have caused this but it is obvious that some animal has brought in a very contagious disease, probably respiratory which could also be a fungal infection that antibiotics cannot help with. You may try using an anti fungal such as Ketaconazole along with antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications to help them past this. I wish I could be more help but from what you have described, without further testing, it is hard to know. Just be sure to isolate any new animal for 10 days and isolate any animal with symptoms. Disinfect the entire area and let this area sit without animals for a 2 week period to be sure that there is not anything that can be spread to new animals brought in. I a, so sorry to hear about your last one that passed away but a necropsy by your vet may have helped isolate the cause. Good luck!!!

Hi Dr Loretta. The coughing adult I mention yesterday presented bloody diarrhea n this seems to be the most common symptom. Could this be parvo? I understand there is a different strain of parvo known as type p2 where hypothermia is one of the symptoms.1 other adult wif the red eyes still have pusy discharge n red eyes n I understand too that this is also 1 symptom of parvo type p2. Is that correct?There has been no more dogs wif respiratory symptoms. But 1 other adult, previously healthy had a bit of bloody diarrhea on 23rd Sept.The puzzling thing is they all test negative on the parvo test kits. Is the kit valid only for the regular parvo?The shelter is very primitive n all open space wif soil n sand Base. Really difficult to disinfect tho we have been doing our level best wif chlorox spraying daily.
There are not many ticks on the dogs at the shelter as they get weekly medicated baths wif amitraz rinse but they do get the occasional tick here n dere. New pups n dogs that arrive however often come wif tick fever n we can only diagnose that if mucous membranes are pale n treat that wif imidox or doxy.But usually this does not cause hypothermia correct?

There is a fecal test that can distinguish between the parvo virus and the CPV-2c although this is not clinically relevant. The treatments for this is the same as for parvo virus. It is possible, with such a huge exposure, that even being vaccinated, these animals could come down with this disease that, as you have seen, can be deadly. I am so sorry for your losses and I can see that you are doing the best that you can.

Sorry, I missed the tick question...this does NOT cause hypothermia....in fact, they are usually febrile.

Unfortunately in this god forsaken place we dun have any such tests available. Vets too do not have anythg available. We only have the regular cpv test kits which have all been returning negative results.Thx for ur advise. Will continue on parvo treatment n pray for best. Unfortunately some of them have other pre-existing conditions that complicates matter's. Will keep u updated

I know it is hard in your situation but all you can do is what you are doing...keep up the good work!!! It is very hard to lose them but you have saved so many!!!

Try to have a good day!

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian