petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My 8 yr old Cairn terrier who has never been sick doesn't

Customer Question

my 8 yr old Cairn terrier who has never been sick doesn't want to move or eat. was worse two days ago. getting slightly better but cant jump or want to go out.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Often when a pet presents with these symptoms, they are caused by pain. But determining the source of the pain isn't always straightforward. It could be abdominal as we would see if perhaps there was pancreatitis or intestinal problems or it could be due to spinal pain as we see when there is a ruptured disc or bulging disk.

Have you had him examined by a veterinarian for this problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. That is why I am asking you!
I thought the point of this website is to troubleshoot to avoid unnecessary trips to a high priced office?
So how can I decipher the cause? If it's abdominal how can I tell? How long does it last?
He doesn't wince if I press his abdomen.
He does favor his hind legs when running and he is reluctant to jump up on my lap or jump up on anything.
Many thanks to you for any help you can provide!
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry but this website is not meant to replace a physical exam, but only to help educate you on possible causes and help you to decide if veterinary intervention is needed.

It is certainly a good sign that he doesn't act painful if you press on his abdomen, but a vet is trained to palpate the abdomen in a was so as to identify specific organs that may be involved, or if there are any abnormalities palpated. On top of that, by checking his neurologic reflexes, it can be determined if his spine may be irritated and possibly causing pain.

If this has been going on for two days now, it definitely warrants a trip to the vet for a physical exam and a more definitive diagnosis as to the cause. It is just not possible to determine the cause without an exam or over the Internet.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Z