Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a Terrier. When he was a puppy he had skin allergies

Customer Question
I have a ***** *****...
I have a ***** ***** Terrier. When he was a puppy he had skin allergies and food allergies. He's been on prescription food since then as he's almost 12 yrs old. Very active in addition to his healthy USA made treats I give him cooked Bison just a tiny bit over his food in the morning. He has not had allergies for years. People food, he gets chicken, carrots, in place of treats. He had a tumor removed off of his lip where his tooth shows a tiny bit. He has a fatty tumor on his belly but my Vet doesn't seemed concerned about that as he says its like a cyst. For awhile, his nose has been running no color discharge. Since he sleeps with me, it seems like he has a mouth full of fluid, after laying down for awhile, where he jumps up and sits on the floor like he's going to throw up but he Sollows. It seems like it's getting worse as its all the time as before it was just at night. The vet said give him Pepcid I did and he looked really sick afterwards. He suggested Benadryl I gave him the same thing I found at Petco and it didn't work. I live in New Mexico and yes allergies have been bad but he's never had a continuous runny nose, no discharge. Every time he sleeps he has to get up and swallow this mouth, what it sounds like you s full time f fluid. He's heen doing this since last Dec and what is my next step?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear Kona is sick. I also live in the southwest and I can report that this has been the worst allergy season we have seen in over 10 years because of all of the wonderful rain we have received. The trees are growing more quickly as well as the grasses being more active.

When I hear about a dog with excessive clear nasal discharge, my first thought is definitely allergies. Benadryl at 1mg/pound is a good choice to start with, as is Chlorpheniramine 4mg/dog.

If this doesn't help, you may need to take Kona to your regular veterinarian. Your vet may consider allergy steroids such as Temaril-P (prednisone + an antihistamine). They may also discuss blood work, nasal x-rays, nasal biopsies and a nasal CT scan.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Hi, How is Kona doing this evening? Have you had any luck getting her allergies under control? Do you have any further questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian