Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog I Was diagnosed last October with diabetes and the

Customer Question

Hi my dog I
Was diagnosed last October with diabetes and the cushings was diagnosed in February he is on 40 units of insulin twice a day and Vetoryl 30 mg twice a day his glucose levels are still high Lately I have noticed he is losing weight and shedding a lot. Rocky is a lab pit mix his last weight several months ago was 78 lbs but he is much less now. What to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Rocky. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am sorry you did not get help from an expert until now; I just came online this morning and saw your question.

Do you have any of his blood test results? It would help to know how well the insulin and Vetoryl are working, by seeing his most recent blood sugar readings and his most recent ACTH stim test (monitors if the dose of Vetoryl is too high or low or just right). The first step would be to know that his Cushing's and diabetes are controlled.

If he is not well controlled, my next step might be to do an abdominal ultrasound, to look at his adrenal glands. If he has a tumor of an adrenal gland, that may be the reason for his weight loss and shedding. Has an ultrasound been done of his adrenal glands?

If you have any recent blood tests you can share with me, that would help, since I cannot see or examine him. Let me know if you have these, and what other questions I can answer. Rebecca