Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

5 days now, my dog has not been mself. He is still eating

Customer Question

For about 5 days now, my dog has not been himself. He is still eating and drinking normally, but he has had diarrhea on and off, he vomited once during the first day of his symptoms, and during the first couple of days he also seemed to need to urinate more frequently, but not so much now. He started out lethargic, but his energy seemed to pick up for a couple of days and we thought he was getting better. But today he is lethargic again and really doesn't seem happy. He doesn't appear to be in pain, he allows us to touch his belly and doesn't appear to be tender or even react at all to it. Should I take him to an emergency vet today or wait until my regular vet is available tomorrow?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry your little one is not feeling well. I can give you some guidelines that indicate a veterinary er visit is warranted but if he is not improving or progressing then please consider a veterinary er visit. In addition, if it gives you peace of mind that he is not in need of urgent medical attention it would be advised as well.

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

You can try:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours x 3 days
- Instead of oatmeal a combination of white rice and boiled chicken or another lean meat which is bland yet bulking in small more frequent meals. This will be a little more well balanced with his special diet and return to the diet a little more rapidly as well

I suspect he is not urinating more frequently because he was having diarrhea and his body needed the additional reserve of hydration but if this changes again it can be related to his previous history of bladder stones...

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your senior friend is feeling better soon...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I am online an additional 10 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman