Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My mini schnauzer was in the back yard when a bunch of

Customer Question

my mini schnauzer was in the back yard when a bunch of students banged on our fence, we don't have a front yard, now she is terrified to go out in the yard. My Vet prescribled trazodone 50 mg, 3/4 tablet every 12 hours, she began the medication yesterday and there is no difference in her anxiety. She will be 12 yrs old Jan. 1st and has never been afraid of anything but an occasional thunder storm. Is there anything else I can do for her? I am 73 years old and suffering from Lupus and it's hard on me to walk her more than once a day. Please help. Clancy Galovich
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Clancy and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your condition, Clancy. I know this is making things very difficult for you to help your sweet frightened AbbaGayle. Your vet did the right thing by giving the Trazadone but there are a few other things that will help her past this. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store along with Rescue Remedy. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will help AbbaGayle past this. Have someone help you Clancy to walk AbbaGayle into the back yard and praising her and giving her treats while doing this. This is called "Desensitization" and will take some time and patience but with these medications on board, it will be easier for sweet AbbaGayle to get past this, Clancy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****