Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog seems healthy but is sneezing and congested. He also

Customer Question

My dog seems healthy but is sneezing and congested. He also sometimes gags like something is in his throat
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Douglas is not feeling well today!

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough/gag is severe or constant but also helps with the congestion as well
2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs and throat
3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation
4.) Great you are using benadryl, it should be at a dose of 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours and may cause sedation.

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough or gag if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! If the cough is productive, there is lethargic or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Douglas. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman