Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

10 yr old Boxer has blood in stool and rectum

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Hazel is showing these signs! I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if she is not improving then please consider a veterinary er for her because she is showing signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon) which can lead to more concerning signs and we definitely do not want her to progress to severe illness. CLICK HERE for more information on the more severe form called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

- Begin Pepcid 20 mg (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle her stomach
- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools
- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that she is not becoming dehydrated but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting
- If she is up to it, getting her up and walking. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice her appetite but if she is not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:
- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope Marcie is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!