Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 40 pound Vizsla ate painters putty off the

Customer Question
Hi, My 40 pound Vizsla ate...
My 40 pound Vizsla ate painters putty off the wall...approximately 2 1/2 tablespoons. Ingredients are calcium carbonate, titanium dioxide, and crystalline silica. Should I seek emergency vet attention?
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on the ingredients, nothing you have listed would be toxic to Peanut. First first two ingredients are actually used in medication and foods for people and animals. The last one, while not ideal to eat will only cause GI upset. Therefore, as long as he did not have enough to cause a blockage in his GI (which doesn't sound the case), we'd just want to monitor and use some supportive care. To start, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if you did see any hint of nausea, then we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian