Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 8th month old dog just t her head on the wooden part of

Customer Question

My 8th month old dog just hit her head on the wooden part of our sofa and seem like she was a little disoriented. She was still acting like her lively self, wagging her tail and walking around a while ago. She tried to vomit and only a little amount of food came up. Now we have laying on the couch resting. She wants to go to sleep, but should we not let her sleep in case she has a mild concussion?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She's sleeping off and on. She occasionally tries to get up, but we're trying to keep her still. Tried to give her some water, but wasn't interested in drinking it. She appears to be alert, but also seems somewhat anxious when she tries to get up like she doesn't know what to do with herself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's been about 35-40 minutes and I haven't received a response. Please respond as soon as possible. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. Please give me an update on Sadie. Dogs can be concussed but not as easily as people due to the difference in the anatomy of a dog's brain. In general, dogs who are fully alert, are not having seizures, and exhibit no neurological signs don't need the attention of their vet. It's prudent to awaken a traumatized dog every two hours for the first 24 hours at home to check her level of responsiveness. Any change from an alert status is an indication to return at once for veterinary evaluation. In addition, be sure to check Sadie's dog’s pupils. They should be of equal size. An enlarged pupil that does not constrict when light is shined in the eyes may indicate pressure on the brain. Also notify your veterinarian if Sadie's becomes rapid (greater than 40 breaths/minute) or irregular, if she exhibits any form of muscle weakness, or if she has a seizure.

Hi Nydia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?