Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 week old blue heeler has had diarrhea last two days, i

Customer Question
my 9 week old blue...
my 9 week old blue heeler has had diarrhea for the last two days, i thought it might be the resent change in diet since I've only had him for a week now, but he just pooped and it had some blood in it. It wasn't completely watery but he was in a lot of discomfort. I don't have access to a car so i can't take him to a vet tonight. He's been playful all day, im keeping him hydrated and has appetite but im not sure if i should stop giving his food until i see a vet tomorrow afternoon.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I looked at the local vets and they are all closed tomorrow as it is Sunday and only one takes cases on Sunday's but only for emergencies, does this count?
He's pooped about 5 times in the last 4-5hrs and at least 3 times in the last two hrs.
9/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, if he is uncomfortable and there has been blood, then you can choose to have him seen as an emergency. The vet won't turn him away just because it may not be so, but do be aware that he may have to wait to be seen and that emergency visits can cost more.

That aside, if the blood was only a small amount (often a sign of the gut being irritated by the diarrhea then anything sinister), I would note that there are some supportive care options we can use here. To start, instead of withholding food, consider offering a light/easily digestible diet. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset or diarrhea. Also it can help to feed this as small frequent meals to further reduce gut stress. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the GI upset is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

Otherwise, there are some anti-diarrheals that can be used to slow things down for the gut. AsI am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure (since cures would depend on the culprit and might include antibiotics or anti-parasitics, etc.) but would slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would otherwise. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the associated upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use are Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) available from your local pharmacy or products like Pro-pectalin, FastBalance, or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon). All will slow diarrhea and the last few have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, these can be used here.

Overall, diarrhea in a pup can be caused by quick diet changes. Of course, we also have to be aware that it can be a sign of parasites, protozoa, bacterial or viral infections, or dietary indiscretions. Therefore, if you did see a lot of blood, it'd be an emergency. But if it was just a bit, then you can choose to have him seen or try the above until his vet is open.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the informationyou need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian