Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7 month old mini snauser cant jump she waits to lift back

Customer Question
My 7 month old mini...
My 7 month old mini snauser cant jump she waits for me to lift back end jumping down no problem everything else is in order
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. When such a young dog can't jump and may be having difficulty arising from a prone position, a congenital (present at birth) bony deformity should be suspected. I would carefully palpate Frieda's hind leg joints for laxity (weakness) and I would X-ray any joint exhibiting that laxity or luxation (dislocation). Hip and spinal X-rays should be part of Frieda's baseline information. Hip dysplasia and luxating patellas (kneecaps) should be on my differential diagnosis list for such a pup. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian