Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7 month old plotthound/redbone coonhound mix has thrown

Customer Question
up bile the last 3...
My 7 month old plotthound/redbone coonhound mix has thrown up bile the last 3 mornings straight, around the same time every morning (5am). Her last meals are always around 5/6pm. Her feces are half solid and half runny. Should I be concerned enough to
take her in, or is there just something passing through her system? Thank you!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if she has mild vomiting but also loose stool, then we do need to tread with care here. This is because while her signs could be related to a short term dietary indiscretion, we can also see these signs with bacterial or viral GI infections, pancreatits, parasites, and with ingestions of harmful items (which that would be urgent if she had).

Now as long as Memphis hasn't eaten anything harmful that you are aware of, we can try some supportive care for her at this stage. To start, you can try to offset her empty stomach/morning vomits by either feeding her dinner later, her breakfast sooner, or treating with an antacid at bedtime. The first two options would reduce the period her stomach is empty and therefore particularly sensitive to low grade nausea. And the antacid would work to offset that nausea. In regards ***** ***** you can use an OTC one like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption)and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee onehas any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut.Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset, nausea, and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and then slowly weaned back to to her normal diet.

Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools,you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate,these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores,and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. A dietary indiscretion that will run its course if possible here. Still, we'd want to use the above to soothe those signs while monitoring. And if we found that this wasn't responding to our supportive care over the weekend, then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions,please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian